N/A

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Santa Monica

We took off from the motel car park well before sunrise, in fact we'd only slept about 2 or 3 hours. I started the driving, but we swapped on the outskirts of LA because there was enough light for me to want to take photos.
morning drive to LA

We overshot the ventura highway,
Ventura Highway
but drove around a little - I suspect we were in the Hollywood hills, which made the hunt for the sign a bit difficult unless we'd happened across it up close - which we didn't.


Got a McDonald's breakfast,
Double Sausage & Egg McMuffin
noting the american boast culture
McBoast

Drove around hollywood a little and went to Santa Monica. Went motel hunting along the boulevard, balking at some of the high prices.
Spotted a Segway store next to the Hotel California; made a mental note for future reference.

We were pretty addled from all the driving and lack of sleep, so we cruised a couple more boulevards then found the Foghorn Inn in Marina Del Rey. Got a great deal there, reduced it to their rock bottom price of about 80 bucks by paying cash - and heeded a cheesecake factory warning: The room we had was right next to it, and they started their dishwashers at 2am. We slept the morning away, then headed to Santa Monica to take a look at the promenade.
Santa Monica Jogger
Found a beachside parking lot and went walking.
Santa Monica car park

Went to the pier and crossed over to Ocean Boulevard. Saw Skate City and had a look. I asked the assistant about rollerblades, and liked the look of the new models on offer. Fancied this pair with larger, extendable wheels. Thought I might get a pair tomorrow...

We were in search of something to eat, and ended up at a rather expensive sushi place, where they refused to serve me beer because I'd left my wallet in the car in preparation to swim in the sea. That help decide who was designated driver today.

The sushi was good, and we were entertained by women on the next table who hated theirs, proclaiming the extra special tuna to be unfit for their cat

We went back to the beach where I had a swim
Santa Monica Beach

would have been there for ages, but Anton wasn't up for it so I felt guilty. We went on to Venice Beach, where I spotted another skate shop. As I tried on this pair, Anton went next door for a beer. I had some issues with cash machines not dishing out enough money in one go (I get charged in the US and in London for each withdrawal, and a $200 limit is a piss-take, especially when you want $260). Oh well, managed to resolve it with Ant's help, and was now on 8 wheels :)

Joined Anton for a beer - a duvel no less. There was a strange couple on the table next to us. Glum, not talking to eachother. Suddenly a leopard-thonged Tarzan freak with silver balls started talking to them. We were remarking about the variety of Venice Beach contraptions we saw, and today's display was topped off by a man riding this furry bull on wheels. I think it doubled as a beer cooler, or am I confusing it with another of the offerings.

Anton's Kidney started playing up as he walked, and I skated, back to the car. Good progress though, as he'd lasted most of the day this time, indeed the sun had set by now.

We got back to the Foghorn, dumped the car and got ready to go out. The green phone labelled TAXI in reception didn't work, so the receptionist ended up phoning us a cab, which arrived promptly enough. We went to Zanzibar, took the advice of the bouncers, which was to go in for a drink, then come out and get dinner so we didn't have to queue once it got busy.

We went in search of dinner, but it was getting late, and the italian restaurants we passed were closing up. We found the main shopping street - 3rd Street, where there were some cheapo food outlets we didn't fancy much. Instead, we settled for Johnny Rocket burger, which was probably the worst of the lot, on balance. Greasy floors, lots of deep fried onion rings and fries , and of course, a double 6oz burger with swiss and bacon. Was officially burgered out after this. Again..

We got back to Zanzibar, and the bouncers' advice paid dividends, as the queue went round the corner. It filled up with people inside, but soon became apparent that the best totty around was the roving barmaid. One curly haired blonde of note was dancing like she was on methamphetamines or something. She got up on stage at one point and Anton remarked favourably on her dancing. Must have been the drink - she looked like a royal spacker to me.

We got a cab back and slept like corpses. So much for the dishwasher racket.

Next day, and first on the agenda was a drive up to Malibu
biking to malibu
where we checked out the hills and got brunch at a place that was teetering over the rocks.
perching gull

Dissing the valet parking proved economical, in spite of the locals' literary attempts to encourage it
parking sign
Every woman working there was totty except for the one that served us. Typical.
Anton had Steak & Eggs
steak n eggs
and was raving about them, while I had a better than average salmon on mash dish.
salmon

The Lemongrass and ginger brulee was very nice.

Drove back wanting a bit more skating on the promenade. Got there, parked in a different lot, as yesterday's was full. As I skated towards the pier, Anton broke into a run. Got there and had to stop and tend to a harsh attack of the shinsplints. We went up over towards Ocean again - now I noticed that skating up a slope can be very tiring very quickly. Went up to 3rd, checked the closing times - good news, we could come back and go shopping for more clothes, hopefully this time more for Anton.. We went back to the promenade to make use of the daylight.

We had a look at what was going on on the pier
santaMonicaFerrisPan
I had to take the blades off for this as the wooden pier was so chewed up and full of nails - which I cursed every time I stood on.
We'd just missed an annual food tasting extravaganza - $15 to taste something from every caterer in Santa Monica. Anton wasn't bothered, as he'd just had explosive steak & eggs.
anton pier

Came down off the pier, noting a beach graveyard exhibit on the way
beach graves
Passed the Pink Floyd busker and the Bubbleman and got a Date Shake while Anton opted for a much more flavourful banana and strawberry one. I took longer to finish mine, so Anton went to the bike hire shop next door. He'd been tossing up between hiring a bike or a segway - we'd bumped into three segwayed brits earlier, and that had been inspirational. In the end, the $75 for two hour price tag proved a little much, so he hired a bike instead.

He'd gone down the road by the time I'd finished the shake and put the blades back on, so I had to phone to locate him. We agreed to meet up by the acrobatics area where people were balancing on people, whilst others did hula hoops.
acrobats
IMG_4885

We went down the promenade to Venice beach again
Venice Beach
where we saw some people cavorting with rollerblades.
rollerblading area
Went as far as we could before the ground became unskateable and doubled back.

Stopped for a beer where this Philipino girl, Teresa, started talking to us.
me and Theresa
We mentioned that we had been toying with a trip to Hawaii over Vegas. She'd lived there, and recommended it to us but we were set on playing some poker by now.

We went back to the bike hire place just as he was closing up! Wonder what he'd have done about being a bike short.. Anyway, I decided it was time to hang up my boots, so went back to the car to change back into sandals. Anton had a beer next door to the bike hire place while he was waiting. Got back there and talked to the bouncer about the police attitude to people smoking inside the line, or taking their beer outside the line. Rules and regulations starting to beggar belief.

Now it was time to go shopping for Anton's jeans.

burger with garlic noodles
locked in the carpark!
back to that bar
anton Zonked

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home